In 2008, the Maryland Youth Advisory Council was established through the Maryland General Assembly to ensure that Maryland youth are given the opportunity to provide feedback and recommendations regarding public policies and programs that affect their future and to take a leadership role in creating meaningful change. By providing testimony in Annapolis and policy recommendations, council members have the opportunity to raise their voices and share their experiences with the Governor, State legislature, agencies, and other youth.
Council members will be expected to:
- Be active and passionate representatives of Maryland youth. Members must attend at least 50% of regular meetings. Any member who does not attend the required number of meetings may be removed from the Council;
- Identify and discuss issues facing youth in Maryland;
- Work with other council members to create strategies that address these issues;
- Serve as liaisons to other affiliated youth organizations and peers in his/her communities;
- Develop leadership skills;
- Meet other Maryland youth; and
- Have fun!